Saturday, December 28, 2013

He Is Here. Not like I planned but Rigo my 4th Ro is here!

Birth Story. He is here and  I felt like it is important to share.

On December 27 I had my 38 week appointment. We were waiting for my husband to get out of the bathroom so I could do my nst. I felt a small gush and wet myself but I assumed it had been urine as little man was settled directly on my bladder. We had the nst and bpp and he passed beautifully. Dr and I discussed my options. He felt optimistic I could go to the end if I wanted but I was so done with pregnancy at this point since it had been my longest pregnancy ever. He scheduled my induction for Jan 1st. I was thrilled for my New Years baby. I had an end date. I never imagined what would happen next.

Hubby and I came home and attempted to take a nap. When I went to lay down I had trickling down the leg. I was a bit concerned at this point. But thought I would lay down again. After all it was 2:30 at this point and I thought maybe the dr had upset ds and he was more active then ever. When I laid down I felt yet another small gush and at this point I turned to my hubby and said "I think my water broke." I began to cry. He dressed himself and we instructed the kids we were going to the hospital. We told them Mommy needed to get checked out. My odd almost 13 was going to keep an eye on her brother until I came home or daddy came for them.

We went to Labor and Delivery and rang in on the phone. I told them calmly "Yeah, I think my water broke." They quickly got me in and checked me into the observation room. When they heard my name they laughed and said "Didn't we just schedule your inductions?" I replied "yes mam but I am pretty sure my water broke." We went into the room and they hooked me up to monitors. No contractions were happening at the time. Rigo was happy as a lark in there which had me doubting my sanity.

They tested my water and the tech was like "Let me send this to the lab and see if it is your waters leaking. We will have  a result in a few minutes. But first let me check your dilation." As she confirmed I was 2 and 75% effaced I gushed again. She then looked at me and said "No doubt honey, your water is broken." She still sent the test to the lab but they admitted me to get pitocin and start my induction. I laughed as I was wheeled by the nurses station and told them " I guess we can cancel my induction for the first."

Hubby sat with me while the pitocin was administered. He sat with me for a couple of hours but when I hit 4 I told him to go home. I did not want the kids home too long alone. I was determined to go without meds but once I hit 5 I needed something. The monitor was not picking up my contractions so we decided to get internal ones and that made me feel 10 x better. By this time I it was 8:30 and hubby was on the way with the kids.

Around 9:30 my children where watching me horrified and I could not talk through the pain. My poor son and daughter were looking helpless and I was now 7. I felt like I could not go any farther on my own and begged for an epidural. While I got the epidural I just kept apologizing. My hubby grabbed my hand and told me "I am proud of you. I can't bare to see you in pain. You must relax now or you will kill yourself. Your body is not responding well to the pain. You are amazing." The epidural was amazing. I could feel the pressure of contractions but no pain. I don't doubt that.

Around 12:30 I felt the urge to have a bowel movement. I paged my nurse and she told me not yet. I was about 9.5 and still had a lip on the left side of my cervix. I wanted to cry. I paged her every 15 minutes and finally at 1:50 she had me do a practice push to see how I could push with the epidural. I remember her talking to my doctor on the phone and saying "Yes we have a great pusher here. She will push him quickly.

After the doctor came in and got me situated it was about 1:55 am. I laughed as both my kids picked birth times that ended in 2. I told myself I had 7 minutes to push him out. I was exhausted as I pushed but the doctor massaged me and made sure I would not tear. 7 minutes at 2:02 am I pushed my sweet boy into this world. His squeaks were the most precious sound I heard. He had beautiful brown curly hair and just clung to my chest. My dr let the cord finish pulsing and my hubby cut the cord for the first time ever. I told my son I loved him as they took him over to the bassinet. They weighed him and he was 6 lbs 12 oz. 20.5 inches long.So much for my 8 lb baby. Ultrasounds can be off. Very off. They whisked him up to the nursery for oxygen and tests as he was having a bit trouble breathing. At 8:30 am my son and I were reunited. My daughter got the ultimate birthday gift a day early but he was worth it. How I love them both. December is going to be busy from this point forward.

I know I said I could do natural. I said I would refuse and epidural but I do not regret it now. I know had I not gotten it I would not have progressed and I wonder if I had gotten it sooner if I would have progressed quicker. I know it wasn't my planned dream birth but it was the perfect birth because it got my Rodrigo here safe and sound.

0 Comments / Comentarios: