Monday, January 17, 2011

Thank You Dr. King

I am very blessed in the fact that I was born after this great leader sacrificed his life so all people could be equal. Thanks to Dr. King my children are here. I do not tell this story often but my mother when she was 18 years old fell in love with an African American man. However it was still very much frowned upon in our society. She fell in love and became pregnant in secret and then after much distress decided to abort that child. My mom told me this when I was in the 9th grade. I asked her why and she told me at the time in 1974 she did not want a biracial child to be born because of our judgmental society. I was very sad and I told her my dream was that one day there would be no world of color that we all would be one color and everyone would be equal. I was a very insightful child. I talked about my dead sister for years and even wrote a paper about her in the 12th grade. It was about the one person in the world I would love to have known.

Now here in 2010 I am proud to say I am in a bi-cultural, interracial marriage and proud of it. I have 2 gorgeous children who can do anything they want. Ro and I can be in public and be affectionate. I am proud I live in a world where I can be strong and be accepted. So Dr. King today I say thank you because of you my world is just a little more perfect.

2 Comments / Comentarios:

Gini said...

A very moving story. Thank you for sharing x

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, Susan. :) You really have a way with words. I am grateful to Dr. King for many of the same reasons as you!